Sunday, May 21, 2006

My 37-Hour Christian Day

When I add up all the hours in a day that I'm supposed to spend on the various areas of my Christian life, according to sermons, books and other sources by various "authorities," that number far exceeds 24.

For example, I've heard sermons where the preacher proclaimed that anybody who didn't spend at least three hours a day in prayer has no spiritual life to speak of. Some Reconstructionists belittle an 8 hour day and 40 hour week as modernist. One even claimed that a 40 hr work week was "for wussies." Some bible experts claim that a 12 hour day (six days per week) is closer to the Christian ideal. Christian education experts push for spending two hours per day reading to my children. Christian fitness experts recommend one hour of daily exercise, and health experts require 8 hours of sleep every night (yeah, right!). My employer's office policy book urges a full hour for lunch to avoid burnout, and many Christians agree that this time can be used for bible reading. At least one hour of bible reading is recommended by many. Several hours of family worship/devotion, too. A few hours at the dinner table where leisurely eating combined with family business discussion is also urged by some. I need to play with my kids. I already spend over an hour a day just commuting. I also have to eat breakfast, shower, personal stuff and the like before I even get in my car. Christian relationship experts suggest spending several hours of direct communication with a spouse. I need to attend church, prayer meeting, bible study, home group. An hour a day writing a journal before bed. Reading the newspaper and watching the news are quite necessary for any Christian to keep up on current events.

Okay, you get the idea.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I feel the time crunch, too, and I find that compartmentalizing the spiritual aspects of my life compounds the problem. In those wonderful times when I live in the moment, where every thought is a prayer and every act an act of worship, no matter how mundane, time doesn't matter so much. I find it hard to keep in such a state of flow, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See what time I am replying to you! lol Same idea huh? :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete