Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Love of Labor (2)

I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good in one's lifetime; moreover, that every man who eats and drinks sees good in all his labor - it is the gift of God. Ecclesiastes 3:12-13

In a previous post, I wrote about Solomon's observation that it was a blessing of God to eat, drink and enjoy his labor. Here again in Ecclesiastes chapter 3, he repeats something similar. As a basic theme in life, laboring that results in eating one's food and drinking one's wine is a gift from God. Not only this, but labor that can result in eating and drinking is a labor that is good. Solomon notes several times in Ecclesiastes that laboring only to have the product of one's labor go to others is a severe evil.

I desire to rejoice over eating and drinking from my labor. I am praying for this gift from God. To my readers: What about you? Do you ever pray for anything like this? Is this what Jesus means when He teaches us to pray, "give us this day our daily bread"? I'd like to hear your opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment