Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What God Is Doing In My Life

What is God doing in my life lately? This is a question asked by Alan Knox on his blog, The Assembling of the Church. My answer in the comments section was that I have no clue what God is doing in my life. I don't think I ever have and I don't know if I ever will.

I occasionally hear from people who claim to know what God was doing in their life. As a disclaimer, I'm not denying their discernment, I just don't know the same for my life. I also hear from others that they knew what God was doing in their life because of what happened later. For example, somebody might say that a period of time spent around married people and having to change diapers for nieces or nephews just before getting married shows that God was preparing them for marriage. Or maybe somebody had an extended period of being prepared to be a missionary, or to be a minister. If other people know what God is doing in their life, power to them.

I look back on my life, and really can't pinpoint things God did to prepare me for the next thing. I also look back and see things that took place, but those weren't used to a large extent to the benefit of others in the future. As an example, the first several churches I attended were very legalistic and had some strange beliefs. They held those beliefs over the heads of their followers. I was able to gain a recognition of legalism and its poisonous results in people's lives, but I haven't been in a situation to help others recognize and avoid or fight against legalism. I haven't written a book yet. Maybe I could say that God was teaching me about legalism, but toward what end, I don't know.

Sometimes I hear people say, "Oh, God's working on my pride!" but then wonder if boasting about being proud shows God really isn't. Is God really working on your pride? I could see somebody saying they don't know what God is doing in order to avoid being presumptuous.

But for me, I really have no idea what God has been doing these past several years, other than to say that they've been extremely painful and debilitating. Is it possible to know what God is doing in somebody's life? What is God doing in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment