Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday Night Potpourri

I almost forgot about Friday Night Potpourri:

  • While running my usual errands, there's a street in an upper-yuppie nimby neighborhood with a permanent radar speed readout on a pole.  It looks solar powered, and it clocks every car that goes by.  Only one problem.  It is deceptive.  For each car that passes, the first reading is a minimum of 5 mph higher than the true speed.  Only then does it lower its reading to what you're actually going.  I wonder how many people have been duped?  I also wonder if it's not creating a danger in giving a false reading because the natural tendency once I learn that I'm "speeding" is to take my eyes off the road and look at my speedometer to figure out how I got to going so fast.
  • It's raining outside.  Or was.  Supposed to be a big storm this weekend.  I feel like I should water the lawn like I normally do.
  • When our three year old falls asleep in the car on the way home from somewhere, I back into the driveway, open the garage door, and back slightly in.  Then it's easy to just let him nap in the car.
  • There are big trucks on the road now.  A few weeks and months ago it was bright colored Mustangs.  I wonder if our youngest is changing.
  • I've got to bring a water sample to class tomorrow for lab testing.  I'm wondering how dirty creek water will do.  Or maybe it would be good to test our own tap water for sodium and conductivity.
  • A big hawk landed on our back fence yesterday.  I ran and got the camera.  I was only 15 feet from it, but it didn't seem to care.  It swooped down, snatched a mouse, then flew across the yard and pulled up just over the fence out into the creek.  How cool was that?
  • Bummer of a theme, but a really upbeat song from the late 70's.

2 comments:

  1. #1--or slam on their brakes, and get rear-ended...

    #3--you "back slightly in?" I am trying to understand what you've described. Do you close the garage door while he's still inside the car sleeping?

    #6 Very.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. c,

    re: #3, our garage door doesn't face the street, but sideways, and the driveway turns into it. The garage is full of junk, so I pull in far enough to block the sun.

    ReplyDelete