Saturday, February 23, 2008

What I Do For A Living

Just in case some of you don't know what I do for a living, here goes. I am an architect. Small "a." If I use a big "A", the State might find it a matter of "justice" to give me an orange jump suit and a new boyfriend. Anyway, I have neither a license (my firm may want this to change in the next few years) nor a degree. I'm probably one of the last ones to work my way up through the ranks with on-the-job experience counting for most of my being.

I work for a large firm. We do more than residential architecture, but we're the largest and most prestigious residential firm in all of Northern California. My specific task for the last three years is to be a plans reviewer. Just like a teacher takes a red pen to students' homework, so I take the red pen to sets of plans before they go out of the office to be built. Kind of a quality control. For twenty years I did drafting, creating the plans (i.e. blueprints), now I make sure others do it right. With a helpful attitude, of course. And they pay me to do it. So, there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment