Friday, August 20, 2010

Your Church Is Too Small - and - Mere Churchianity

I've written about how I wanted to review John Armstrong's Your Church Is Too Small and the posthumous publishing of Michael (the Internet Monk) Spencer's Mere Churchianity when I completed them.  Well, I completed them a few weeks ago, and I think that I will do more of a commentary of them than a review, if that makes sense.  I'm sure reviews are available elsewhere, and I definitely wanted to add my own comments.  I'm not sure I'll start these commentaries within the next few weeks, but they should be coming at some point.  Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Steve,

    What was the premise of iMonk's book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby,

    I think there are several premises, but a main one has to be that the church is so badly representative with what is going in in evangelicalism that Jesus would have a hard time recognizing it as the religion he founded. Many people have left the church, or are considering leaving, and he says to them that they can find ways to advance the kingdom without - or at least in spite of - "churchianity."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Steve. Sounds interesting, I'll have to read it when I get the chance. I'll be on the look-out for your review.

    ReplyDelete