Saturday, January 08, 2011

The Least Of These

"The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'..."Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' - Matthew 25:40, 45.

Here in Matthew 25, Jesus gives an account of the judgment, and what he says to each the separated sheep and goats.  This is a frightening passage of no small matter, as it seems that eternal life or eternal punishment depends upon how we treat Christ.  But, Jesus makes the point that what we do to his brothers, even the least of them, is equivalent to doing that to him.  And to make his point even more clear, Jesus says to Saul of Tarsus after being struck down, "Why do you persecute me?"  Christ was pointing out to Saul/Paul that what he was doing to the followers of Jesus was actually being done to Jesus himself.

And just who are the least of these?  I'm guessing that they are followers of Christ who are lowly and insignificant in the eyes of the world, or possibly even in the eyes of the church.  They are the common people who do not have a name for themselves.  They are ones in need of even the basic things in life.  And apparently, they are the ones who suffer at the hands of the goats.  Or more precisely, they suffer at the absence of the hands of the goats.

Can we do good deeds for the least of his?  This is a hard saying of Jesus, and one that I know I need to ponder more, and act upon more even if I don't know I'm doing it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    I followed the link to your blog from Commandments of Men. I sometimes go through and click all the links that Lewis has from his blog, and I'm glad I clicked on yours today.

    This is a very timely blog post for me, I've been very occupied of late with a desire to help those who cannot help themselves. I feel that if I am a Christian, and I am, that I should WANT to help others, the weak & defenseless, as Christ did.

    I like goats (the animals, that is) but I don't want to be one.

    Thank you for the timely reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bean,

    Welcome, and thanks for the comment. I hope God uses you for just such a thing! I'm not a big animal lover, but goats can be fun to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easily Boost Your ClickBank Banner Commissions And Traffic

    Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products by banners, simply visit Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your favorite ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete