Tuesday, January 04, 2011

The Sunday Church Meeting

One of the things I've tried to analyze over the years is what churches do on Sunday and compare this with what the scriptures show about what the early church did, and also with what commands given to us are supposed to be done on Sunday when we meet.  Some things, too, are commanded us, and they appear to be best put to use when the church meets on Sunday.  Some things should always be done, whether with the church or not.  What should a Sunday gathering of people look like?  What should it do?  What should it not do?  What needs to be included?

The type of church meeting I am most familiar and experienced with is what many people would call the "traditional" or "institutional" model of church.  Occasionally it might be called a "New Testament" model of church.  People show up to a large building, sit down, and passively listen to a sermon preached by a preacher.  One or a few individuals do the talking or leading, and others watch, listen, or sing.  No, or very little, interaction takes place between those who gather and at the end people are dismissed.  Most peole leave.  This gathering is often called a "worship service."

Another type of church meeting that I have very little familiarity or experience with - but the little experience I do have has left a great impact on me - is one that I've read quite a bit about over the last several years.  Some would call this type of meeting a "house" or maybe "organic" or "simple" church meeting.  Occasionally it might be called a "New Testament" model of church (where have I heard that before?)  In this model, the people gather and all of them are invited to participate with encouraging, teaching, admonishing and other similar things given us to do in the bible.  Much interaction takes place between those who gather, and at the end, people stay for a large meal - almost a feast - and the Lord's Supper takes place in the context of this meal.  I'm not sure there is a dominant name used to describe this type of gathering.

I've written numerous things about these ideas of church before, and I hope to continue with many new things and the bringing back of older things.  I anticipate that this topic will be a prominent one here at From the Pew.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to what you have to say. Our family is new to this as well; I know I still have a lot to learn about the church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good topic. :)

    I've never met a Christian or read a book from a Christian who did not think that what they were doing was "biblical." So, I'm glad that you brought that out.

    -Alan

    ReplyDelete